It was finally cool enough last night to run the oven for a while, and I had a bunch of bananas turning dark brown, so… Time for chocolate chip banana bread!!
It’s super easy – and such a forgiving recipe, I doubled it in this video:
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease a loaf pan with shortening.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. Cream together shortening and sugar. When totally mixed and smooth, add eggs.
4. Add dry ingredients, one third at a time.
5. When thoroughly incorporated, add bananas and chocolate chips.
6. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 60-75 minutes. Halfway through, sprinkle top with brown sugar. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out with just a few crumbs, no moisture, when the bread is done.
7. Cool slightly before slicing, or cool completely and wrap tightly to keep it fresh. Can be frozen for up to six months – but make sure to thaw and then toast each slice so it’s still tasty!
Serves 8-10, depending on slice thickness.